Kia kicks off the 2024 Shopper Electronics Present (CES) with thrilling information in a quest to ‘transcend mobility’. This afternoon, Kia launched its absolutely customizable Platform Past Car (PBV) to offer companies and people with modular, turnkey electrical autos. Kia additionally demonstrated the potential of its new PBV enterprise by unveiling the Idea PV5.
Whereas many conventional automakers are out of the blue rolling again their EV methods, Hyundai Motor Group, which incorporates Hyundai, Genesis and Kia, stays dedicated to advancing electrical mobility throughout segments.
Kia has seen early success with its BEV fashions, which stay a comparatively small vary because the Korean automaker transitions to an all-electric firm. With R&D funds allotted to different applied sciences similar to robotics and Superior Air Mobility (AAM), Kia and Hyundai Motor Group are constantly creating and exploring thrilling new know-how.
That saga continues from CES 2024 this afternoon, when the passenger automobile maker launched a brand new “clean” Kia platform that can help business and particular person firms.
Meet Kia’s Platform Past Car, showcased within the type of a number of idea EVs, together with the PV5 seen right here:
Kia is teasing the PV5 idea on a brand new modular platform
With its new Platform Past Car know-how, Kia goals to capitalize on a business phase that has wolfed up a number of startups whose funds dried up earlier than they may make an actual affect.
Enterprise house owners are only one goal of Kia’s new fit-for-purpose electrical automobiles and a part of Hyundai Motor Group’s bigger ambitions to revolutionize the whole mobility trade. Mixed with HMG’s software-to-everything (SDx) know-how, Kia’s PBV EVs can provide a brand new design train in modular, adaptable area to satisfy the wants of extra individuals – whether or not it is a taxi, cell boutique, van or leisure area. automobile. Kia President and CEO Ho Sung Track mentioned:
Kia’s PBV enterprise represents our imaginative and prescient to transcend the standard idea of cars by assembly the unmet wants of various clients and communities via optimized autos and providers that handle particular market and enterprise situations.
Kia’s new know-how permits one automobile chassis to serve a number of functions. The automaker mentioned the whole space behind the mounted cabin can help interchangeable higher our bodies, which it calls “life modules.” Provided as a package, these weldless ‘prime hat’ assemblies connect with the bottom automobile through a hybrid electromagnetic and mechanical coupling know-how – providing even higher versatility because of the power to be interchanged.
Throughout the unveiling of the PV5 idea, Kia additionally outlined the roadmap of its Platform Past Car Technique, which can increase in three separate phases:
- Section one: Kia introduces the PV5 EV optimized for key areas similar to taxi, supply and utilities.
- This consists of the Fundamental, Van, Excessive Roof and Chassis Cab variants.
- Sooner or later, Kia additionally plans to introduce a Robotaxi model developed with Motional.
- Section two: Completion of the devoted vary of PBV fashions, with PBVs evolving into AI-based mobility platforms that use information to speak with customers and preserve autos updated.
- Contains the addition of the PV7 EV – Kia’s largest platform providing within the new vary, designed to ship superior inside area and electrical vary.
- Additionally consists of the P1V, the smallest within the vary, designed for short-distance logistics transport.
- PBV modularity – Kia introduces an built-in rail system that enables EVs to switch items between one another utilizing cupboards and frames.
- Section three: Kia PBVs are evolving into extremely adaptable, tailored mobility options by integrating with the long run mobility ecosystem.
Kia’s EV ideas, showcasing the brand new Platform Past Car know-how, might be on show within the LVCC West Corridor throughout CES this week. The exhibition features a take a look at Idea PV5 and two of its variants, plus the aforementioned Idea PV7 and Idea PV1.
The automaker says it’ll have a second exhibit at CES Central Plaza, the place it’ll present the Idea EV3 and Idea EV4, along with the EV6 GT and EV9 manufacturing fashions.
Is anybody else at CES? Keep tuned to Electrek and say hey!
FTC: We use monetized auto-affiliate hyperlinks. Extra.